At Deri, we want the children and staff to enjoy the sun safely outdoors and adopt healthy sun behaviours that hopefully will continue throughout their childhood. In order to achieve this we have worked in partnership with parents and staff to develop our own Sun Protection policy. This policy has been developed with the guidelines from Caerphilly Local Public Health Team and Cancer Research UK.
At Deri, we have sun protection measures in place in place. This includes information provided annually to both staff and parents.
The school takes part in the annual SunSmart campaign and provide staff and parents with information.
Information on sun protection is sent out to parents via newsletters.texts.
• Children are expected to bring legionnaire style/protective hats to wear whilst outside playing in the sun.
• All staff wear appropriate clothing to protect themselves and act as role models to the children.
Shade & Environment
• We are developing further shaded areas within the school, using funds raised by the PTFA.
• We have limited outdoor activities during the hottest part of the day during the summer (11am-3pm)
• Parents are asked to apply sun cream to their children before they come to school. This should protect the children for up to six hours.
Staff Information & Awareness Raising
• All staff receive information to raise their awareness of sun protection.
The main points of this policy will be shared via texts/newsletters. All parents can obtain a full copy of the school’s policy on sun protection from the Office. Parents will be encouraged at all times to put forward any suggestions to improve sun protection within the school.